Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Sometimes I try to ignore 'em, but I thank God for 'em.."

"I hear voices like, My dad sayin' 'Quit that team, and you'll be a quitter the rest of your life' Mama telling me to say a prayer, everytime I lay down at night. And Grandma sayin' 'If you find the one, you better treat her right' I hear voices all the time." - Chris Young.

That is one of the many theme songs to my life. Now you may think that because I was born and raised in Hicktown Tennessee that 'of course it's going to be a country song' but in all seriousness, and I think many people would agree, they can always hear people they love telling them what they should and should not do. Then again, I may be insane and need to be admitted, only time will tell that much.

The voice I hear the most is the one of the person I miss the most; my grandmother. She passed away when I was twelve years old. She was my best friend and the strongest, most beautiful, and smartest woman I have ever known. If I could be half of the woman she was I would be lucky.

Today has been eight years and three months since grandmother passed away. As I sit and look back on special belongings of hers I have, I remember her telling me to "always say I love you when you hang up the phone" or "always be happy in what you do" and "you're going to go far in life, as long as you hold your head up high" I wonder if she would be proud of the young woman, mother, student and employer I am today.

I have came a long way in those eight years, I have hit bumps in the road, I have had major and minor setbacks but I believe I am right where I need to be. I am going down the right path and raising my son the way I was raised. I thank God I can still hear my grandmothers voice keeping me straight!

So I guess the point to all this random rambling is; if you are lucky enough to have those voices in your head, don't ignore them. God put them in your head because he knew how much you would need them one day. Thank him for them, they made you who you are and keeping you the person you need to be.


"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"  ~Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment